Friday, November 24, 2006
Today has been a great day. Slept in for a while. Woke up to eat. Took another long nap listening to Explosions in the Sky, woke up to read this amazing 1970's era photography book I found. Basically, I've been super lazy.

Adrian, over at All Things Go mentioned Explosions in the Sky today. They are one of my favourite artists who I have discovered this year. It really introduced me to a whole new realm of music. I now play Explosions in the Sky almost every day, as well as The Album Leaf and many other instrumentalist artists. I love this new track.

Explosions in the Sky - Welcome, Ghosts (Highly recommended)
Explosions in the Sky - Six Days
Explosions in the Sky - A Song for our Fathers
Explosions in the Sky - Your Hand in Mine
Explosions in the Sky - The Long Spring

I don't know about you all, but I am a huge fan of Darren Aronofsky films. His previous films (Requiem for a Dream and Pi) will always be on my favorites list. His new film, The Fountain, took more than 6 years to get together, had some big names like Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett on board but after a few problems the stars lost confidence in Aronofsky, around the same time his backer Village Roadshow did.


After seeing the sets auctioned off before filming in Australia, Aronofsky remembered that in his heart, he is an indie film maker and indie film makers know how to make a film even when others turn their back on you and take away your money. It may have taken some time to get it together, but I am told it is a masterpiece.

The accompanying soundtrack is composed by Clint Mansell and performed by San Francisco’s Kronos Quartet and Mogwai. The result is a masterpiece in and of itself and I cannot wait to better understand the meaning of the many elements found as a part of this composition. I should get a chance to see it on Sunday when I return from the beach with the family to Greensboro. Ah, how I miss the city.

You can stream the album here. It is quite enjoyable.
or...
These mp3's from The Fountain Original Soundtrack
Stay with Me
Death is the Road to Awe

And just another song I have listen to a few times today.
Sleater-Kinney - All hands on the bad one