Sunday, February 05, 2006
Hoax Funeral

The simple yet intricate rhythm of From a New York Coffee Shop is quintessential to the mesmerizing voice of Anjy Hall as the story of a lover’s unreturned love unfolds. The use of the steel guitar (among what sounds to be some other string-like instrument with which I am much less familiar) in Prophecy Fulfilled gives the song a very relative sound. It is perfect for relaxing on the sofa by the fire reading your favorite novel.

Anjy is originally from Southern America, beginning her reign in music with bluegrass. Her southern drawl can sometimes be heard, but more than ever in their cover of Hank Williams' “I’m so lonesome I could cry” which is lead by Allister Jordan on the bouzouki. It makes for an interesting sound.

Hoax Funeral’s four members only banded in early 2005 but I don’t foresee a break anytime soon. Their almighty entwinement of uncommon instruments with the common and the soothing voice of Anjy makes me anticipate what is to come out of their recording time which is planned for the coming months. They already have a few new tracks that aren’t on their EP, which was recorded in October.


[mp3] From a New York Coffee Shop
[mp3] I’m so lonesome I could cry
[mp3] Déjà vu All Over Again
[mp3] Sleeping With Your Ghost
[web] www.hoaxfuneral.com
[myspace] http://www.myspace.com/hoaxfuneral